Comment on page
This team is responsible for translating reports(including those created out of tweets/SMS) from local languages to English.
- Work with professionals from our friends at Clear Global
- Translate items from Kiswahili and other local languages into English
- The first thing to do before translating a text is to read and understand it.
- Check the context of the words that may appear unfamiliar.
- In the Uchaguzi case, the context may include extra-textual elements such as the occurrences, the location, and political affiliation among many other issues.
- Convey the meaning in the target language as precisely as possible
- Counter check by comparing the translated text with the source text
- Confirm factual information such as figures and names of places/people (elsewhere this would be referred to as back translation)
- Be accurate!
- If you are not sure, always consult another translator or any other resource person.
- Keep it simple and to the point.
- Avoid ambiguity, we are not in the business of teaching vocabulary but informing.
- If a toddler can understand it a fifty-year-old is safe (the rule of the thumb).
Make sure you’re logged into slack and announce to your team that you’re starting your shift. If you don’t have access to the slack channel, please get in touch with an Ushahidi team member or your team leader and we’ll grant you access as per the Uchaguzi Access Chart here
If your account has not been upgraded to manage incoming posts, please alert your team lead with your username and we’ll upgrade you.
All posts that are in Swahili and other local languages will be contained in this saved search. To access these posts, click on sort and filter, go to filter by then click on saved searches and select Needs Translation as shown below
Select a post by clicking on the post card as shown below. Your post detail will pop up on the right hand side of your post card.
If the post is being edited by someone else on your team, you will see a notice on the top of the post detail pane. You will not be able to edit the post again until the post has been saved and taken out of edit mode by your teammate.
Please note: if you are an admin, you have the ability to override the edit lock. If you choose to override the lock, any changes being made by the person editing at that time will be lost if they have not saved them. Proceed with caution.
- Prioritize posts that have been flagged as URGENT.
- Scroll to the bottom of the post to the Translation task.
- Translate the title and description of the post into the text box provided.
- Once you are done, deselect the “Needs Translation” category, and select the “Translated” category
- DO NOT ALTER ANY OTHER TASK i.e Verification, Geolocation, Escalation in ANY WAY
- Only verification, geolocation and escalation teams respectively are mandated to change these category selections
Warning: PLEASE DO NOT PUBLISH THE POST.
Once you’ve completed filling out all required details, click on Save.