Synthesis example 1
Date conducted: 12 November
Date sent to Design: 12 November
Who is the user?
- Name: Jo Doe
- Forced to flee out of ethiopia 6 months ago — journalist
- social activist, journalist, blogger
- in sweden now in a refugee camp seeking asylum
- walked to library for this call
- Organization/Project name: Betu
- Organization industry: Citizen journalism
- Organization location: Ethiopia via Sweden (refugee)
- Role/responsibilities in the organization: Independent project
- Size of organization (number of employees): 1, with 3 potential volunteers
- Est. budget of org: $0
What problem are they trying to solve?
- Overall mission of the organization
- bring to light abuses about human rights in ethiopia
- Specific problems they are trying to solve
- using social media to teach the people in ethiopia about the oppressive gov’t.
- 2nd next to syria in terms of number of journalists who have fled from the country
- hoping to contribute something on the platform to bring awareness to issues
Who from the org uses (or would use) the Ushahidi platform?
- Which roles within the organization would be interacting with the platform and in what capacity?
- This is an independent project being started by 1 person. There are 3 potential volunteers to help, but he will be managing everything.
- What are those roles’ responsibilities?
- Find data sources, manage incoming data and bring awareness to project
What is the current process for solving this problem?
- at the moment, just using an online news website (blog) where he aggregates the news from all over the country and all over the world about this
- never been exposed to a platform like this
What do they expect this platform to do for them?
- trying to link in Facebook and twitter, mostly twitter — has found the “youngsters” use this because the idea of citizen journalism is still in infancy
What is the value of this tool to their organization?
- He really doesn’t have any money to pay, but this would be invaluable to him.
- If no numerical value is placed on it, have them describe the value
Key positive comments from user:
- generally extremely excited to use this platform. Thinks it can make a huge difference in bringing awareness to the oppressive ethiopian government.
Key negative comments from user:
- Needed a full walk through
- we hadn’t approved him for a grassroots application. *note* -- this is because we asked him for more budget, not understanding the full story. We thought they were 4 swedish bloggers. not the case.