This feature allows you to set up and manage default and custom roles and permissions for different user groups on your deployment. Each deployment has a default “Admin” and "Member" role, which cannot be deleted, but can be edited. The default “Admin” role allows for full control over ALL functionality on your deployment, while the default "Member" role only grants access to edit their own posts.
The setup in this guide is demonstrated in the below video as well. You can watch and follow the guide at the same time!
How to manage default and custom roles
To access the roles management page,
- On the left hand menu bar, click on Settings
Settings button on the Ushahidi Platform sidebar.
- Then, click on Roles
Settings list page. Roles button highlighted.
- You’ll be redirected to a page with a list of all existing roles - default & custom roles (created by admins if any exist).
To add a custom user role,
- Click on the yellow Add icon
Click on the red yellow + button to add a new role.
- Add the following details
- Name: Provide a name for this new custom role
- Description: Provide a brief description of what/who this custom role has been created for
- Set your permissions. Below is a brief breakdown of what permissions get granted to users on selecting the options provided.
- Manage Users: Allows for;
- Viewing Users
- Adding, Editing, Deleting Users
- and Changing roles for Users
- Manage Posts: Allows for;
- Viewing posts
- Editing and Deleting Posts
- Publishing posts (Setting specific audiences to view )
- Adding posts to collections
- Creating new collections
- Manage Settings: Allows for managing;
- General Settings
- Map Settings
- Data Sources
- Bulk Data import and Export: Allows for upload of data via CSV files and exporting files.
- Edit their own posts: Allows for editing of posts submitted by user
- Manage collections and saved searches: Allows for
- Addition posts to all saved searches/collections on
- Removing posts from all saved searches/collections
- Editing all saved searches/collections
- Deleting all saved searches/collections
- Click on Save.
See the illustration below
The add role page contains a role name, description, and preferred permissions.
To edit a role
- Click on a role from the list provided to you.
Click on a role from the Role
- Click on Save to update the role.
Adding details to a new role. Name, description and permission fields available.
To delete a role
- Click on a role from the Roles management list page
Selecting a role in the roles list.
- Then, click on the Delete This Role button at the bottom of the page
Click the DELETE THIS ROLE button.
- A pop up box will appear on the top of the page, prompting you to confirm whether you would like to delete the custom role. If
- You would like to proceed with deletion, click on Delete
- You would not like to proceed with deletion, click on Cancel
Delete role confirmation pop up